It's that time of year — the holidays are in full swing and planning for gatherings with friends and family has begun.
For a new recipe that goes beyond the basic holiday staples, make this pork chop dish with sweet corn spoonbread and crispy Vietnamese Brussels sprouts by Motor Supply's Executive Chef Wes Fulmer. It's sure to please!
Pork Chops with Sweet Corn Spoonbread and Crispy Vietnamese Brussels Sprouts
By Motor Supply Executive Chef Wes Fulmer
Serves 4 guests
Ingredients for pork chops
- 4 thick-cut bone-in pork chops (not brined)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil, your choice
- Season pork chops well on both sides with salt and pepper. Add cooking oil to a skillet over medium-high heat and let it get very hot.
- Add pork chops to the skillet and sear on all sides until browned. It should take 4-5 minutes per side.
- Rest the pork before serving.
Ingredients for sweet corn spoonbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup lard
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 1 ½ cups corn purée*
- 2 whole shallots (finely diced)
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 oz butter (softened)
- 6 each large egg whites
- Begin by prepping the corn purée. Take corn off of the cob until there is a little over a cup and a half of loose corn. Using a vita prep mixer or food processor, process the corn until it is smooth and velvety. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, cayenne pepper, baking powder and salt. Add the lard to the dry mix and begin to incorporate.
- Next add buttermilk, corn purée and loose sweet corn to the mix. Fold together with a rubber spatula until smooth and set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium-low heat, melt butter and cook the diced shallot and chopped thyme until shallots are translucent.
- Once cooled, add shallots and thyme to the corn mixture and combine. Set aside.
- Next, add the egg whites of 6 large eggs to a stand mixer and whip until there are medium to stiff peaks. In thirds, fold the stiff egg whites into the corn mix until fully incorporated.
- Spray a springform pan with cooking spray and pour the mixture into the pan about halfway. Bake the spoonbread mix in a water bath at 325º for 30-35 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick or cake tester to check doneness. It should come out with the mixture slightly stuck to the toothpick – it needs to be just underdone to finish cooking while it cools.
Ingredients for crispy Vietnamese Brussels sprouts
- 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts (cleaned and cut in half)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 tbsp cooking oil, your choice
- Pre-heat oil in a deep fryer at 325º. Rinse Brussels sprouts, trim, cut in half and pat dry.
- Once oil has reached 325º, fry Brussels sprouts until outside leaves turn a golden brown. This should take about 90 seconds.
- Take Brussels sprouts out of the fryer to drain for about 10 seconds. Then, immediately toss in a stainless-steel mixing bowl with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with fish sauce and squeeze lemon over the Brussels sprouts. Toss together.
About Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Known for its artisan cocktails, refined yet relaxed atmosphere and daily-changing, chef-driven menu of sustainable, farm-to-table fare, Motor Supply Co. Bistro has been serving New World, made-from-scratch cuisine in the historic Columbia, S.C. Congaree Vista since 1989. Reservations can be made by calling (803) 256-6687 or by visiting www.motorsupplycobistro.com.